I have decided that it is time for me to post again – 1. Because it makes me uncomfortable opening our blog and seeing that ripped, smiley, unclad man on the front page and 2. Because in two days is the month of February which is the month of Valentine's day.
I want you to know that I love Valentine's with all of my heart. In the past, several of my (girl) friends (sometimes cynically and bitterly, other times merely humorously) referred to holiday as Single's Awareness day. On the other hand, several of my (boy) friends would endlessly rant about how it is a holiday designed to break a guy's bank. How depressing! If only I could express in words my felicitous feelings towards this day of all days. I suppose, though it will be inadequate, all I can do is make a list (I love lists) of reasons why I love V-day so much:
An Exposition of Elin's feelings towards the approaching holiday: A list in no particular order
1. If you do not want to write out Valentine's day or say it a million times, you can simply refer to it as V-day. What other holiday can you do that with? Not to mention that V is such a strong letter. When I think of V, I think of Victory, Valiant, Vicissitudes, Velocity, Volt, Very, Vehement. V-day! Wow! What a nickname.
2. It is a day completely dedicated to that indefinable, indescribable, undeniable emotion of the heart: love, love, love. Whoever decided that there needed to be a day wholly devoted to informing all of the important people in your life that you love them deserves a prize. What a good idea! Not to mention all of the fun, creative mediums you can choose from to express that love. Poetry, flowers, chocolates, cakes, little pieces of cardboard paper with the faces of the current teen pop sensation or favorite cartoon faces on them, balloons, ridiculous looking stuffed animals, rose petals strewn strategically from one point to another creating a path to a desired surprise location (such as the kitchen table where a homemade chocolate cake shaped like a heart with the words BE MINE written in sprinkles across the top awaits you). You do NOT need a significant other to celebrate Valentine’s day. That cake can be for your best friend, your parents, your favorite co-worker, and the list goes on. (You of course can change the words that are sprinkled on the top of the cake as you find necessary and eliminate the rose petals.) Need, I repeat, V-day is a beautiful thing?
3. It is the holiday that Mama Roberts’ gi-normous, personalized, heart-shaped sugar cookies smothered in frosting arrive in the mail. Never have I known before the thrill I experienced when I opened the package last year and saw that heavenly treat.
4. Valentine colors are Pink and Red and White and those are the happiest color combinations (except for maybe yellow). Seriously, if you walk down the V-day aisle of a grocery store, the mixture of colors alone will boost your level of happiness by at least 25%, I guarantee it. It's science.
5. Speaking of walking down aisles, try walking down the BYU candy counter aisle during the V-day season. V-day candy is the absolute BEST candy of the year, if you ask me. First of all, it is the only time of year they sell these delicious gummy, tangy candies that are shaped like X’s and O’s. Delightful. Second, there are cinnamon gummy candies shaped like lips. Delightful times 2. Third, the m&ms are red, pink, and yellow and they sell bags of m&ms that are completely green (and everyone knows green m&ms are the best). Delightful times 3. Fourth, they sell the DOVE chocolate heart with the sappy V-day sayings on the wrappers (only rivaled by the DOVE chocolate eggs they sell during Easter that are the perfect size for your mouth.) Delightful times one million.
6. Conversation hearts. (I know they are candy but they deserve their own number. They taste like dirt, but I still purchase them.)
7. Sappy love songs
8. I don’t even think I need to continue….What more can I say.
Happy Valentine's Day!
5 comments:
I will never view V-Day the Same Way again. Sweet blog!
elin, i love you. happy v-day. so let's go turn on some delilah and wait for her to play some mariah carey or collin raye.
Once i got a whistle for Valentine's day.
oh I love V-day as well and I am so glad you made this post. Hey we will be down again in a few weeks. Yay
I can't say my feelings on this day have changed, but maybe I can see other peoples points of view now.
Post a Comment