Monson

Monson

Friday, October 23, 2009

Birthdays and Halloween...among other things

This post is principally about my (Forrest's) birthday, but I decided to throw in some other pictures that were on the camera too. I had a wonderful birthday, and want to thank all those who contributed to the day to make it so. I especially appreciated the letters from family. And of course my greatest thanks goes to Elin, for arranging everything and working so hard on a perfect birthday dinner. The rest of this post will just be photo captions.


Some of the fruits of my (garden) labors. I wanted to take a picture of the garden itself, but never remembered.



Gross. If you can't tell, this is a blackwidow. The red hour glass is slightly blurred, but definitely there. Elin saw it as she was exercising, and I caught it in this jar. I then was sent on an errand to Smith's to buy some spider killer spray (at 9:30 PM). When I came home, I took the jar outside and tried to flick the spider out of it. As it fell out it made a web, which essentially turned the spider and web into a pendulum. Which meant that it swung away from me, and then right back at me. Some might know that I do not like spiders. I dodged the attack however, and managed to get the spider on the sidewalk. I then soaked it in spider killer spray. It staggered around for a second, and then just started to walk back towards our open door. I was then forced to step on it. See the big back part, where the hourglass is? Thing popped like a giant pimple. Gross.

As far as picture posting goes, I am retarded. I couldn't figure out how to make it flip right side up. Anyway, this is the birthday spread. It was delicious. Thanks to Tim for helping with the steaks. I had the Special plate (first time), Elin had seating cards for everyone (the little reddish card on my plate), and an "about Forrest" questionaire at each plate. I got all the questions right.


This is me sporting some birthday presents. The sunglasses are from Dad and Mom, and are specially made for sports, particularly fishing. I am a fisherman. They also gave me a creel, so I am basically outfitted. Too bad it's freezing outside. There was also a coupon in the box for a free pair of aviator sunglasses, which I sent for. I was going to post a picture of them, but forgot to take a picture. When they arrived, there was ANOTHER coupon for aviators, so I might end up with a lot of sunglasses. The jacket is courtesy of the siblings, and is much appreciated.


Birthday party guests. It is good to have family close by. I don't have pictures, but Laurel gave me the Scarlet Pimpernel music book, which is fantastic. Seth hooked me up with some delicious treats.


I don't think I need to explain this picture to anyone. I just want to give my heartfelt thanks to Momma J for a wonderful gift.


Elin made this beautiful (and delicious) German chocolate cake. It really was really good. She is such a sweetheart. She doesn't even like German chocolate cake.


In this picture I am getting a closer look at the candles (as well as trying to rid myself of a few pesky nose hairs) because the candles on the outside were special. See, the flame of the candle burned the same color as the candle. You can kind of see some variation on the ones closest to my face.


Master artisans at work.


For those who have carved pumpkins with me in the past, please note that I am not going with the standard jack-o'-lantern face.


Yeah, look at those bad boys! We didn't have candles, so I put two little flashlights in there. If you can't tell, mine is a witch's pot on a fire. The flames look a little like flower petals, but that was the best I could do. Maybe the flicker of a candle inside will make them look more like flames. Turns out we carved them a little early. To my dismay, I found my pot sagging into the pumpkin last night. I was able to secure it with some toothpicks, though.


A beautiful picture. Tim and Rach aren't looking too bad either.

3 comments:

Russell Roberts said...

I am glad you had a great birthday.

Russell Roberts said...

You make me laugh. And you do have a sweetheart of a wife--what a birthday.

Ryanne said...

that was quite an enjoyable post to read, my brother. I think you should get hold of another pumpkin and carve out you classic jack-o-lantern face. i mean c'mon, a 20 something year streak/traditon should not go down the drain for the sake of change. i mean who are we? obama supporters? oh and by the way my pumpkin i carved was a tribute to you. (for getting me that dvd).