Monson

Monson

Friday, April 9, 2010

Playing with Dolls



Did any of you ever have an American Girl Doll or a wanna-be American Girl Doll? My mum bought me Samantha for my 10th or 11th birthday (yes I still played with dolls when I was 11) and it was the joy of my life. Laurel's favorite was Felicity but she only got a wanna-be felicity doll (which, in fact, was actually prettier than the actual Felicity doll). Did you ever notice that they kind of make the AG doll's buck toothed?

Anywho, one year when I was younger, before I had or even wanted Samantha, I wanted the dream barbie. That's what she was called and she had this magnificent dress that was kind of a gold color. She was beautiful. I begged my parents to get me this dream barbie for Christmas and on Christmas morning, I opened a beautiful dream barbie look-alike. But she was very obviously NOT the one that I had seen in the Saturday morning ads that I had seen in between Saturday morning cartoons. My mum had purchased a much less expensive barbie doll and then made a dress that was similar and probably a lot better quality than the one I would have received had it been the real thing. I still remember being a little disappointed though because the dream barbie in my head was different than the one I was holding.

My mum could tell this I'm sure, so years down the road, when I wanted the "real" Samantha, she actually spent the hundred dollars on her. You can buy a bunch of dresses from the AG store for your doll, and though mum bought me the real doll, there was no way she was going to spend tons of money of a wardrobe for her. So she made me a wardrobe for Samantha which were so much better than anything we could have bought. She made Samantha a sailor dress and a party dress and a play dress...and she made me (or purchased inexpensively) furniture and accessories. You have no idea the connection I formed with that doll. It was magical.

Now my mum is making American Girl doll clothes again and she posts them on an Etsy that my aunt started. Look at these clothes! Doesn't it make you want to buy all of these dresses and play with dolls again? Seriously, the next time I am home, I am taking my Samantha and all of her clothes and bringing them back with me. Rachell, your little Madeleine/Chloe can play with her until I have a girl of my own!









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so fun that your mom is making AG doll clothes! I think my Kirsten doll is packed away somewhere in Frannie. I'll have to bring her back to Provo and we can play dolls...er...our girls can play dolls.

Jane Huddleston said...

That's incredible! Your mom MAKES those clothes??

Hey I was thinking about you today so it made me very happy to see that you had updated your blog. I miss you and love you.

Amber Joy said...

Your Mom is so talented! That is really cool and I think it is great that she can share her talent and make a little money, too!