Monson

Monson

Friday, September 27, 2013

My Friend Laura

Me, Caitlin, Laura, and Jen

So I have this friend named Laura. And today is her birthday so she has been on my mind. Since she lives in Utah and I live in Texas, I haven't seen her in far too long. So I just wanted to say a few words to her through cyberspace. I suppose I should just call, but I am not very good at talking on the phone (as she will attest).

Laura is the kind of person who is always one step ahead of you, but you don't resent them for it. You admire them and are grateful for it. She is the one who met and befriended everyone in the apartment complex by the end of week one -- and then suddenly I had friends too, because she included me in the festivities. She is intelligent, funny, and spontaneous. She is always picking up a new skill or honing an old skill -- biking, rock climbing, singing, violining, baking, writing -- seriously one of the most well-rounded people I know.

Did I mention how much I laugh when I'm around her? It is just enjoyable hearing her recount the events of her day because she always finds something funny about an conversation she's had or heard or something crazy she's seen.

We liked to play the piano and sing together sometimes, and she has this unbelievable voice. I don't even think she's had any formal training. It just comes out of her like that. I try not to be too jealous when I sound like Hilary Duff next to her Adele-ish voice, but....I am a little. We decided that one day we are going to do gigs at wedding receptions. I'll play the piano and she'll sing jazzy love songs in a black dress.

For awhile, every week we would get together and watch a random movie together.

Like this treasure:

Laura likes to quote that line to me sometimes..."Never had a good experience with an Ellen..." Bah! That's what I say to that Kirsten Dunst...

But seriously, Laura, I don't know what I would have done without you during my college days. You were my rock. So full of life and so fun to be around. Always spiritually grounded and ready to do whatever God wanted you to do, even when it didn't make sense at first. I've been around you and watched you for years and you constantly amaze me. Thank you for always caring. I hope this next year is the best so far. You deserve it. Happy Birthday! Here's a little number from Gavin Creel to ring in your new year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F7Wa0um3WY


1 comment:

Brooke said...

Hahaha this post is awesome. Go Laura :)